What makes your life interesting, unique? What do you notice?

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Joining the Facebook community

I did it....as part of an assignment and experiment. I want to see if and how I use this now ubiquitous social networking community.
Feels kind of strange to now "belong". I'm a Friend. Asking to be connected with other Friends.

Good that I can control the outreach, control my responding, shut it down if I want.
Wonder what Facebook staff has collected to send to marketers already.
It's pervasive, yes, probably every time we log on to our computers....someone knows more about us than we ever thought they would....because we've told them.
Let's see how their revised Privacy policy works. 
Oh, just bought Time magazine yesterday, with ...you guessed it...Facebook on the cover.
Want to see what their writer/s say.
It's a deeper cyber world I'm in now.

1 comment:

  1. It was a little scary for me too because I am generally a very private person. Well as time has passed I have become less worried about my information, but I did hide the actual year of my birth although initially I did plug in the correct year. I don't think anyone can really do anything with just your name and birthday. I realize it is a little intrusive, but when I first joined I really wanted to network and branch out to make new friends and it worked! I made a new friend that went to the same high school that I did, and I had never met in high school. It was nice to have a second chance. Then, she commisioned me to do a painting for her!!! So overall my experience with Facebook has been great.

    ReplyDelete